Monday, January 7, 2019

First FO of 2019!

Yay!! As of January 6, 2019 I cast off the first project that was completely knit within 2019!

I cast on a pair of Rye socks by Tin Can Knits for my Dad on January 1, 2019. These are a somewhat belated Christmas gift, but I knew these wouldn't be started until after Christmas because Dad had to choose his yarn.

These are done in Patons Classic Wool Worsted in the colour Dark Grey Marl (because it looks like Wolf Fur according to my Dad). Sadly, I didn't finish these before we left Vancouver, so Dad will have to wait until he comes to visit in April to get them.

Additionally, for Christmas I got a potholder loom, so I was playing with that and had enough loops that came with the kit to make 4 potholders.

These are fun to do and really quick. I'm researching how to make loops for the loom out of old t-shirts and other clothes. Eventually I want to make a rug out of a bunch of these square sewn together.

In spinning news, I got about 2 ish out of 3.5 oz of an alpaca/merino mix spun up.

 
The white is the alpaca and the green is the merino. The single is coming up nicely striped, and when I let it ply on itself it's about a heavy fingering weight at a 2 ply so I figure I'll be getting a sport weight since I'm planning on chain plying this.

A little disclaimer about my spinning: I'm a newbie.

At this time I don't spin for a project, I spin the yarn, am pleased when it's all about the same thickness and is balanced, count my yardage, and then find a project I can use it for.

I'm hoping over this year I will get skilled enough at spinning to consider what I can make with certain fibre purchases.

My current spinning tools are a Schacht Sidekick which you can see in the pictures above, a CPW with an incorrect wheel (it was probably replaced at some point with a wheel that's smaller than an actual CPW wheel, and a plethora of drop spindles, all of which are in use.

I have been plotting and planning in addition to my Make Nine 2019, I have some Wall of Shame projects that got ignored once Christmas knitting kicked in. I will likely be making pages for each of my lists, but for now I am surviving with my planner and my whiteboard.

I've since found more fibre and added it to the list... I haven't even guessed at the amounts yet. This is just from memory.

Send help... and coffee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment