Sunday, January 13, 2019

Pride Cometh Before a Fall?

So I have a bunch to be happy about this week, and some not so good.

So I'm starting with the good.

Firstly, I thought I might introduce you all to my cats. I have three, though I have owned 5 in total (two have crossed the rainbow bridge, one just this past July).

At the moment we have:


Zaboo - 6 year old male, Zena - 5 year old female, Ziclan (pronounced Zeke-lan) who is an 8 month old male.

All three have been adopted from our vet, Zena and Ziclan both as kittens, and Zaboo as an adult in July with Ziclan. Zaboo has a storied past which I'm not going to get into on here, we had a bit o a rocky start integrating him into our home, but now he is our handsome gentleman and one of the family.

They will likely feature at times, especially Ziclan who greatly enjoys being right in the middle of things.

I didn't finish anything this week in regards to knitting, but I started something and continued something.

In an effort to clear off my WIPs that got set aside in August for Christmas knitting I grabbed my Crucero Shawl. This is a kit bought from the designer in a lovely purple linen/silk blend.

As with all lace, this looks like a bunch of spaghetti right now, but I'm looking forward to getting it blocked. This shawl starts off with a square and then you work off two of the sides to end up with a V shape. I'm hoping it helps to keep the shawl on my shoulders, because my triangle and semi circle ones never want to stay put.

My friend and I knit at a cafe every Saturday, joined by a number of rotating friends who join us when they can. We decided that this month we wanted to do a knit along with our own handspun. Since I don't have a lot available to choose from yet, we decided on doing the Nennir Cowl, allowing each of us to stop when we run out of yarn. I'm hoping I have enough to do 3 repeats of the pattern.

This yarn is some Ashford Corriedale Sliver chain plied to about a sport/dk. The pattern calls for fingering but it's a rectangular cowl so I'm not worried about gauge too much. I'm doing this one on a 3.5mm needle and it's giving me a decent drape that should keep the wind out.

In spinning news, I did get something off my wheel, that lovely white/green alpaca/merino blend.

As I thought it ended up at about a sport weight, maybe as low as a heavy fingering. It's about 100 yds chain plied. I will be getting this washed tonight or tomorrow and hung to dry and ready for a future project. I'm thinking it'll end up being a hat, or at least part of one.

To continue with my goal of all the spinning, I grabbed a pack of fibre from my Stepmother. It is a lovely sample pack with 7 shades of green in it.

I've decided to try fractal spinning this batch, just to play with the colours a bit.


In the left side picture you can see that I have a long section of fleece in each of the 7 colours, and then two groups of smaller sections. I'm going to spin the longer ones into a single, then spin the smaller ones in the same colour order twice, so that when I ply them, the colours match up in some places and don't in others.

And now the bad.

First off, I got the flu, Wednesday I was feeling a bit off, and then Thursday I was knocked flat. I took Friday off, and thought I'd be good for knitting on Saturday but had to leave it early. I'm feeling better now but I've done basically nothing but bum around in my pjs all day and rest and recuperate. So here's hoping for a better week to come with much more done on my knitting and spinning.

Also, when I went WIP diving I first thought about working on my Poca sweater and trying to get it finished before the end of this winter. I had started it in late August/early September, and put it aside when I started going all in for Christmas. It sat beside my computer until December 23 when we cleaned up for company. At that time it went down into my stash room where it stayed for 2 weeks tops.

When I grabbed the sweater it looked like this.

That's right... I have moths in my stash room. Thank goodness it's winter and my whole world outside is a freezer. We're going to be packing all of the stash into mattress bags and other items and chucking it in the garage to freeze and hopefully kill off as many as we can. Then it's time to bleach the stash room!!!

What a fun season I have ahead of me with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment