Monday, September 2, 2013

An introduction of sorts

Hello one and all, and welcome to my (new) blog.

My name is Jessie and as you can guess from my blog title, I knit and sew. Over the years I have created a number of different blogs in which to write about my craftyness, however over the majority of the time, these have lasted a month, maybe two, and then have gone off into nothingness.

I am nothing if not fickle, and will quite often leave my logs to languish and die. However, I am hoping that with this blog I will be able to get myself on a schedule. As it is September, the start of the school year where I live, and a time of new beginnings and steps forward, let us step forward into why I have decided, once again, to start a blog.

The steps to a new beginning

I know myself, and I know that I get distracted by pretty things and will drop something that is not pretty like a hot rock if and when I get bored with it. This has happened to more blogs than I can count, some of which I have deleted outright, and some of which I leave for posterity, as it was a time in my life and chronicles some things that I went through.

For the last, oh, four years, I have basically not blogged. I decided that it wasn't for me, I wasn't a writer, and no one wanted to read what I had to write anyway (oh the angst). Then this past weekend (the long, labour day weekend) I went camping. When going camping, a good crafter takes two things along:

1. a simple project
2. a good book

The simple project that I took was a Fisherman's Rib Scarf/Shawl that I'm making with Lamb's Pride Worsted in a lovely blue, with a few grey stripes on the ends.This yarn is the left over yarn that made the Husband's Sweater of Insanity that he will never wear, but won't let me reclaim because it's HIS sweater.

The book was Wendy Knits: My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn, a book that I love and read at least once per year. This time I grabbed it because it happens to have a quick and easy description of how to do Fisherman's Rib (as I had never done it before), and I just happened to start reading it while I worked on my scarf.

Wendy discusses her joy of blogging, reaching out to the world and just putting what she's doing out there, not to mention sharing her kitties with the world. It got me thinking about how I don't really chat to anyone on the internet anymore, and how I missed that. Sure, I may not get a bunch of readers, but I can still have fun with the few that I meet. Not to mention that maybe my lack of talking to people was partially my fault for falling into the time sucks known as Tumblr and Youtube (not that there's anything wrong with that).

So I got to thinking, which is dangerous, did I want to go back and pick up my old blog. I thought about it, looked at it, and came to the conclusion that the girl who was represented on those years of stops and starts isn't the person I am today. She was a young woman, really struggling to figure out what this thing called life is, and really unsure of everything she did.

I then decided that if I was going to do this I needed a clean start. So, new blog it was. Secondly, did I have time to blog, well duh. I sit at a coffee shop every morning for about 2 hours because I drive in with my husband, then walk the rest of the way to work after the building opens (this is cheaper than public transit, and allows me some internet time in the morning before work) so yes, I have plenty of time to post blog entries.

So, what should I do with a new blog and time to post? Set a schedule, and who better to emulate than the lovely lady who got me back into blogging in the first place.

So, following Wendy's example, I am looking at posting a blog each weekday while I'm sitting at the coffee shop, with at least one picture (though it may end up being just a shot of the sunrise if I forget to take other pictures the night before). Luckily I have some pretty cute cats who can distract you from lack of knitting and sewing content.

I can't guarantee this will be a success, but I'm going to try.

And to finish this off I'll introduce you to my kitties who you will likely see a bunch of:


First up is Peariwynkle (Peari for short) who was adopted from our local Humane Society on Boxing Day 2007. She was 8.5-9 years old, is a cinnamon tabby, and is very loving... when she wants to be.


This blue-eyed beauty is Maow Maow (her real name being Misty), who we inherited from a roommate when he moved out. We are her fourth owners, and are giving her a last go at life. She's a very old cat, somewhere between 14 and 20, and has kidney problems. Maow is a chocolate point Siamese, and is such a cuddle bunny, once she gets used to you.

Hopefully I'll be able to get shots of them in better light for next time. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment