Thursday, September 5, 2013

Old Stuff - 5 favourite things I've knit

The problem with me and blogging, or starting a new hobby of any sort really, is burnout. I had to stop my self at least 5 times last night from logging on and posting something here. I had ideas like crazy, but I know that if I don't hold back, I'll run out very quickly.

However, in addition to holding back from posting a ridiculous amount, I also forgot to put my pictures online, so we're going back in time so I can talk about my list of favourite things I've knit.

So here is my top five.

Number 5:


The wee Hello Kitty sweater. I made this back in 2003 when I was getting back into knitting. I love Hello Kitty and there was a lovely KAL going on for this sweater. However it was designed for a 3 year old, and the only 3 year old I knew was out in Northern Ireland, and that's where it ended up. This was my first attempt at Intarsia and I'm really proud of how this sweater turned out.

Number 4:


The Doctor Who Scarf. This was knit at the request of a friend. All 11.5 feet of mind numbing garter stitch. However it did turn out beautifully and now that it's been almost a decade I'm actually considering making one for myself. It helps that I've been pulled into the Doctor Who fandom as well.

Number 3:


Swan Lake shawl. This was a first for me, first Mystery KAL, first Beaded knit, first lace weight shawl (everything else had been made in fingering), first major blocking, first knitting internet drama. Anyone who made this during the Mystery KAL will probably remember the drama surrounding it when we were about halfway through. Anyway, this massive shawl turned out beautifully and went to go live with my friend in Italy who's online handle was Swan. I'm very proud of this knit, and it's another one on my list to make for me.

Number 2:


These were just fun. They're Arrrrr-gyles, and were made as a Christmas present for a friend in Singapore. We all were part of an online game called Puzzle Pirates, and when we decided to trade Christmas gifts, these were just perfect for her. It also helps that she has the world's littlest feet.

Number 1:


This sweater requires a bit of explanation. The first picture is my brother at 4, wearing a sweater that my Grandmother had made him. Many years later, he unearthed this picture and posted it on his Facebook stating that he would "totally wear this sweater if I could find it again". Knowing that the sweater wouldn't fit him, but that I could recreate it, off I went. The colours aren't exact, and there was a good amount of figuring necessary to make an adult sized sweater for him. But it worked out and he enjoyed wearing it a couple of times.

So that's my favourite things I've knit. I just realized that most of them are well traveled and overseas, and that none of them ended up with me. Maybe in a few years I will actually decide to keep some of my favourite knits, but for now, I'll just enjoy the fun of seeing others enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment