Friday, September 20, 2013

Getting Ready for Fall

Fall for me is not just knitting and coloured leaves and cool air and wonderfulness.

Fall means that I'm starting to get busy, and after a very busy summer, that's not always something I'm looking forward to.

Fall also means that it's my birthday and Canadian Thanksgiving all in one weekend.

Fall means that I have my annual Trick or Canning event to organize.

Fall means that Christmas is coming and I have work events to organize and presents to knit and a company building and home to decorate and a charity dinner to help out with.

You can see why I start to get busy.

So to start off, Trick or Canning is a charity food drive I do every year. I love trick or treating, but I realize that I am much to old to go out and collect candy, and I don't have a child yet to drag around with me. So I decided that rather than asking for candy, I would ask for food for the food bank. The first year we went out, we had 7 people, hit 3 streets, and got 130 lbs of food. Last year, we had about 20 people, and also ran a food drive at my work, and hit up almost our entire subdivision, and we got 668 lbs of food.

This year we're aiming for 700 lbs.

I really want to spread this idea out around through all areas that have Halloween and trick or treating, and with that in mind, I have set up a Facebook page here, with the thought that I can give advice on how to start up your own Trick or Canning group, and see how much of a cumulative total of food we can gather across North America.

Thanksgiving in Canada is coming up in a couple of weeks, which means my birthday. Last year was a big number for me, so this year won't be near as big of a party, but it'll still be nice. My husband is always very good at making sure I have a good day.

Everything else is either work or friend related (including the Christmas charity dinner, which I just help out with rather than organize thank goodness), so I don't have to worry too much about it.

My favourite part of fall though?

I get to wear this again:


I love this jacket that I knit out of left over Doctor Who Scarf yarn with added black. It's probably my most worn knit object. I'm so glad the mornings are cool enough for me to pull this out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment