Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Why I may be in Trouble

I mentioned yesterday that I may be in trouble.

It's not a big thing, a big part of it is mainly that I've now got another crafting obsession, and I may not soon have room for all my crafting stuff. Not enough room... in a 1500 square foot house.

Granted I have a husband and two cats to share this space with, but still.

So what's going on that I have taken over the majority of the house? Well, let's take a run down of the hobbies I'm actively taking part in, and have supplies for in the house.

-Knitting
-Sewing (clothing, bags, corsets)
-Rug Hooking
-Model Figure Painting
-Art Journaling
-Regular Journaling
-Cross Stitch

It's safe to say that knitting is my main craft. I can take it anywhere, depending on the project, and if I mess something up I can just rip it out without a loss of any of the materials, and just start over. This is very good for a distracted girl like me. My yarn stash is not what it used to be. I used to be a hoarder. When we moved from the apartment to the house, my yarn stash took over a fair portion of the basement. Since then, I've decreased the stash. I went through the yarn and got rid of most of the acrylic (to a friend's Nana who makes the most amazing blankets). I also got rid of anything that I looked at and continually set aside. So now the majority of my stash can fit in one box/shelf in my crafting wardrobe without too much of a problem.

Sewing is a little more all over the place. I sew clothes, costumes, bags. I'm learning how to make boned corsets. I have tools ALL over. I have one area in the basement that is the fabric for one costume that I WILL finish one of these days. Most of the fabric is in a dresser in my closet in the craft room, but there are sections of fabric in other areas. That's probably the next of my stashes to get an overhaul. At least to know what I have, even if I don't get rid of anything.

Rug Hooking I haven't actually done for any length of time. It's something I'd like to get started into, my Grandma did it when she was alive. All the supplies that I have were free (thankfully) from the Nana I gave my acrylic to. This is just in 2 laundry baskets in my craft room, so it's not too big of a deal, but I'd like to actually pull one of the rugs out and do some work on it starting in the next year.

Model Painting is a fairly new thing for me. It's little figurines from a game we have called Super Dungeon Explore, and I've just been having fun being creative at the hobby store while my hubby plays Magic:The Gathering. I have my first big(ish) model that I'm trying to complete in time for a model show in October. This stuff is basically in a little case holding my paints and brushes, so it doesn't take up too much room.

Journaling is something that I'm off and on with. I write in my journal at least once a week, but I'm not so good with the art journaling. It was more of a neat thing when I heard about it, not necessarily something that I'm really going to get into. But we'll see.

AND CROSS STITCH!

I showed you guys some of my cross stitching earlier last week. I learned to cross stitch at school, and as far as I knew, it had to be done on Aida fabric, had to be stitched a certain way, had to be done with an embroidery hoop, and was almost always tacky little ornaments and stuff.

Earlier this year when I started making dice bags, I looked up some cross stitch patterns to see what was available to geek up my stuff. I also do some pole dancing for exercize and made up my own patterns for my lovely ladies. Those are becoming key chain dangles, or bag dangles or the like, and I was just kind of, shrugging my shoulders and figuring it wouldn't be much.

Then I started blogging again, and I bumped into an old friend around here on blogger, and I saw her cross stitch work. Madam Rahenna, I have you to blame for this!! Well not really, but at least for a little enabling.

I now have a folder full of free patterns and have discovered an Embroidery store in my town (which isn't very big so this is exciting), and a Crafting convention that's happening in Toronto in October called Creativ Festival.

I have also found out that I don't have to use just Aida fabric, nor do I have to stitch it as I was taught (there are many different stitches and things to learn), and it is not by any means just a bunch of tacky ornaments!



One of the first free patterns that caught my eye was this beautiful pattern based on John Anster Fitzgerald's Fairy Hourdes Attacking a Bat, however, this is the best picture of the pattern, not the artwork, that I can find. I'm a little worried that it's going to come out as a muddled mess. Then again, the muddled mess could be because of the stitcher rather than the pattern.

I'll have to think on it, but I really like this picture.

I also found a lovely set of 4 hearts based on the seasons that I'm going to be putting together on the same piece because they really do make a lovely group.

However, what with pretty fabrics, lots of floss, and the patterns, I think I might have to go through my sewing stash soon and make some room. Especially since I have a LNS and another friend who wants to learn cross stitching.

Like I said... I may be in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment